Get Compliant With Canadian Anti-Spam Laws And Other Regulations
As the number of emails sent each year soars into the trillions, email and internet service providers are continually tightening their spam filters to protect users. So, too, are regulatory bodies. Today's marketers are likely already familiar with the United States CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 that prohibits businesses from sending unsolicited email. And since 2014, the Canadian Anti-Spam Law (CASL) has been the legal means for cracking down on senders of commercial electronic messages coming into Canada that don't meet the law's very stringent requirements.
While the U.S. CAN-SPAM Act has a reputation for being lax and under-enforced, Canada means business. Incoming email is closely monitored for spam, laws are strictly enforced, and businesses have been slapped with million-dollar fines for non-compliance.
Compliance with all anti-spam laws demonstrates that you respect your recipients and are a trusted sender. But especially if you have customers in Canada, RevEngine Marketing can set strategy with you to get in your company in compliance.
How To Get Compliant
CASL requirements fall into three categories:
- Consent - Your recipients have formally opted-in to your communications.
- Identification - You must identify yourself, your business and complete contact information in every message.
- Unsubscription - You must have an unobtrusive unsubscribe process and the request must be processed right away.
If you're a legitimate business doing email marketing by the books, getting compliant is relatively pain-free. RevEngine Marketing will help you develop a formal email policy that contains elements such as:
- How to get express consent.
- How to handle implied consent.
- What to do with no consent and unsubscribes.
- Revising communications and forms to include opt-in and unsubscribe options.
- Backfilling database with send statuses.
- Segmenting lists and creating send rules.
- Handling replies.
Get Compliant. Be A Good Sender. Avoid Penalties.
It's better to spend the time and resources getting on the right side of the law now, than to get busted for an unwitting mistake later. Contact RevEngine Marketing and let us show you how quick and easy it is to get compliant and become a trusted sender.
Note: As always with compliance regulations, it’s best to involve your legal team!